June 16, 2017
The Dare Literacy Council (DLC) is an all-volunteer, non-profit organization located on North Carolina’s, Outer Banks. We train tutors every year to help adults and preschoolers. (We currently do not tutor school-age children.) You will find our tutors helping with reading, writing and speaking skills as well as teaching English as a Second Language (ESL) to those whose native language is not English. Many students have improved their math skills with the help of our tutors, and countless others have received their GED. We are a member of ProLiteracy.
All of our services are free of charge to students in Dare County and the Poplar Township area of Currituck County.
The Dare Literacy Council utilizes volunteers in many ways. Our Volunteer Coordinator interviews all potential volunteers to determine what their interests are and how much time they are able to give. Then each volunteer is matched with the appropriate task. Here are some ways you can volunteer:
- assist with fundraising and special events
- perform administrative duties (phone calls, data entry, letter writing)
- join the board or advisory council
- help with publicity (newsletter, website, write articles)
- assist with workshops and seminars
- perform student intakes or assessments
- update website and/or Facebook page
- provide technical/IT computer support
- serve as a Spanish interpreter or translator
- support existing tutors (for those with an education background)
- write grants
Contact our Volunteer Coordinator today to get started!