The Guardian ad Litem program in Dare and Currituck County is looking for advocates to represent the best interest of abused and neglected children in the court system. Our child advocates come from all walks of life; retired persons, law enforcement, homemakers, teachers, college students, concerned citizens and more.
A Guardian ad Litem makes independent recommendations to the court about services which focus on the needs of each child and advocates for a permanent and safe home for every child within the shortest time possible.
- Visits the child & ensures that the child’s wishes are known.
- Interviews the parents, family, social workers and others.
- Reviews records related to the family.
- Gathers independent information about the child & recommends a solution that is in the child’s best interest.
- Prepares written reports for court hearings.
- Participates in court hearings and other related meetings.
- Keeps all records and information confidential.
- Monitors the case.
- Keeps the child informed of all aspects of the court proceedings.
Our next training is beginning August 16, 2016 in Barco. If you have any questions or would like to know more about becoming a GAL, please call Ricki Tillett at 252-475-5587 or the main office in Elizabeth City 252-331-4755
A child needs your help; won’t you please be their voice.